FHE Idea: Being Reverent
This is a concept I struggle with for my own children, plus the kids I teach in Primary. I’ve also noticed that sometimes, as an adult, I still need a reminder why showing reverence is important.
FHE Theme: Being Reverent
Scripture: D&C 88:63, Psalm 111:9
Songs: “Reverently Quietly”and “The Chapel Doors” Children’s Songbook
Story: Start by asking your family to define reverence. Or tell a story of when you saw a great example of someone being reverent. Emphasize that we don’t just need to be reverent at church, but that we should always show a level of respect and reverence in our daily life.
I think President Kimball sums it up best with this quote:
“We must remember that reverence is not a somber, temporary behavior that we adopt on Sunday. True reverence involves happiness, as well as love, respect, gratitude, and Godly fear. It is a virtue that should be part of our way of life. In fact, Latter-day Saints should be the most reverent people in all the earth.”
As a family discuss each part of President Kimball’s quote:
• What does it mean that reverence involves happiness? Does having a bad attitude affect our ability to show reverence?
• What does love, respect, and gratitude have to do with being reverent? When you’re reverent do you feel an appreciation for your blessings and the things around you? How can we show respect while being reverent in the church, temple, or at home?
• What does temporary mean? Why is it important to be “the most reverent people in all the earth”?
Finish the lesson by having each member of the family think of an idea to show more reverence in their daily life. Make it a goal for the week (or longer) and then you can all report on your progress next week.
And don’t forget to remind your family members about their reverence goals during the week!
- Night in Bethlehem FHE & Dinner Idea
- FHE Idea on Tithing
- Let Your Kids Teach Family Home Evening
- Thanksgiving FHE Idea
- What is Family History FHE Idea
- Studying the Scriptures FHE Idea
- The Gift of the Holy Ghost: FHE Idea
- Judge Not: FHE Idea
- The Beauty of Nature is a Gift from God: FHE Idea
- FHE Idea: Getting Ready for General Conference